Bill,

I don’t see how your scheme can work, in particular, “using bulk flow to
sink the entire organic carbon soup of the wind-mixed layer (organisms plus
the hundred-fold larger amounts of dissolved organic carbon) before its
carbon reverts to CO2 and equilibrates with the atmosphere”. I don’t see
how you can possibly sink by bulk flow more than a very small fraction of
the surface mixed layer (and the associated algae, DOC etc) without an
unbelievably dense array of devices with intakes at various depths in the
mixed layer.

Some other points:

1.    Algal blooms generated by fertilization are not continuous but extend
over a period of time. They take some time to get started - some 2-5 days
in the case of ocean iron fertilisation blooms– and then take a further
period of time to build up to a peak – up to 14 days or so in the case of
ocean iron fertilisation blooms. Then they collapse! i.e. you cannot
continuously pump nutrients up and algae etc down at the same time.

2.    Throughout those periods of time, the blooms and the associated water
masses will be being dispersed in the mixed layer. Thus, keeping the
devices associated with the blooms is likely to be challenging especially
since you aim to tether the devices to the seabed!

3.    The assumption of 50g algae (dry weight) grown each day under each
square meter of sunlit surface seems very high. Assuming a bit less than
half of that is carbon, say 22g, then that is some 10-20 times more than
the primary productivity of blooms measured in iron fertilization
experiments.

4.    I don’t understand the statement “Even if no fertilization results
from pulling up, the DIC pulled up may be only half of the ~1g/m3 DOC
pushed down” as the DIC:DOC ratio in oceanic waters is around 50:1.

5.    Given the periods of time mentioned in 1 above, is it likely that
little of the pulled up DIC will be released?

Chris Vivian.