Hi Folks,

Production of engineered ice on the scale that is needed makes any ice
additive problematic. Yet, we should not rule them out completely as we may
end up needing them. I offered up the Habakkuk project as a historical
starting point on the subject of engineered ice.
Nathan's suggestion to* "design simple passive structures that would help
concentrate the wind...increase the rate of advection"* can be prototyped
easily and seems to have many advantages. Inflatable structures with carbon
fiber/epoxy structural elements could be deployed on the ice edge (on a
summer seasonal basis) using local commercial fishing crews as the labor.
Working the leading edge of the melt zone may help slow the melt by a
significant amount. Winter conditions make the year-round use of almost any
wind catching structure impractical.
Rafting together and anchoring the calved ice down wind of the wind
concentrators may be worth exploring as this might add to the effect. Also,
staging this type of passive system over the alluvial fans of the major
Arctic rivers may help cool the waters flowing over the adjacent (warming)
hydrate fields (as Emily suggested).
A powered approach to the surface cooling/ice production is possible
through using fleets of surface effect *Coanda
Effect*<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxJe-RMUsI>craft. The fleet (and
stationary wind concentrators) can potentially be
electrically fueled using the unique
geoelectromagnetic<http://www.amazon.com/Geoelectromagnetic-Waves-A-V-Guglielmi/dp/0750300523>aspects
 of that region. With ample clean renewable energy available, Mike's
and Peter's suggestions could be folded into the project.
However, geoelectromagnetic conversion is a highly unique (*and highly
theoretical*) form of energy conversion and does go well beyond the scope
of this forum. Thus, it's best to deal with that issue through PM, if
anyone is interested.

Also, simple *high wind energy
conversion*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_wind_power>tethers could
bring a good amount of energy to the system(s), as well as
provide us with a multitude of research platforms spanning from the marine
environment (surface and below) up to the tropopause and possibly beyond.
As a final note, I would not initially solve for year-round operations as
that would potentially put off *any* deployment for years and balloon the
cost. Let's solve for early spring through late fall operations and get ice
produced as soon as possible. Then, a more robust winter campaign can be
developed.

Best,

Michael