From: Peter Flynn <peter.fl...@ualberta.ca>
Sender: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:56:11
To: <dhawk...@nrdc.org>; <joshuahorton...@gmail.com>
Cc: <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [geo] Experiment Currently Taking Place in the Arctic?

I remain of the belief that simply creating thicker and more extensive ice
by the known and proven technique of pumping or spraying water into cold
air in the winter is a cheap, safe (because it can be halted at any time)
and already demonstrated process (on both fresh and salt water). If any
missed the previous paper on this I am happy to resend.

This technique works by increasing the rate of heat transfer: water on top
of ice freezes much more quickly than water at the bottom of ice because
the ice is both an insulation layer and it prevents convective heat
transfer from the water layer to the air.

I think this is intuitively safer than atmospheric modification because it
can be stopped at once.

Peter Flynn

Peter Flynn, P. Eng., Ph. D.
Emeritus Professor and Poole Chair in Management for Engineers
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Alberta
peter.fl...@ualberta.ca
cell: 928 451 4455