The physicists out there may have already seen this short article:
http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v66/i8/p8_s3 (also copied down
below) which may be of interest to group members.

Best wishes,

Simon

+++

I read with interest David Kramer’s piece on geoengineering (Physics Today,
February 2013, page 17<http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/PT.3.1878>). I must say, I am
more alarmed by what the geoengineers in his report are proposing than by the
climate changes that are taking place. I believe geoengineers are removed from
scientific reality. They ignore the fact that the climate system and its
components—clouds, hurricanes, and so forth—are highly nonlinear and thus very
sensitive to the initial conditions and to changes in the parameters.
Nevertheless, one could study the system’s response in a probabilistic way when
certain parameters are changed or when we introduce fluctuations, if the
relationships among all the components are known exactly.

And here lies the whole problem with geoengineering. The formulation of the
climate system and its components is only approximately known. More than 30
climate models are floating around in the climate community, and their
predictions about general dynamics simply don’t agree with each other. In a
recent
publication,1<http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v66/i8/p8_s3#c1> we
considered 98 control and forced climate simulations from 23 climate models and
examined their similarity in four different fields (upper-level flow, sea-level
pressure, surface air temperature, and precipitation). We found that except for
the upper-level flow, the agreement between the models is not good. Moreover,
none of the models compares well with actual observations.

One person in the Physics Today story said that geoengineering may result in
changes in various weather patterns, but nobody knows what the changes are
going to be and how they will affect the climate system. If the warming in the
Arctic is a big event to mitigate, then it will require a significant
“geoengineering” effort. To me, that means significant changes will occur
elsewhere. Who can say whether those changes will be less serious than those
taking place now? How can geoengineers talk about modifying clouds and albedo
when clouds are represented in the climate models as mostly linear
parameterizations?

Kramer’s report did not mention hurricanes, but geoengineers also propose to
dissipate them. Hurricanes are unique in the climate system because they
represent major self-organization. As physicists well know, self-organization
occurs in dissipative systems in which energy is not conserved but instead is
exchanged with the environment. Hurricanes involve huge amounts of energy.
Scientists have little idea how the atmosphere and the ocean will be affected
if that energy is not allowed to be exchanged.

I would not have a problem with geoengineering if the physics and dynamics of
the climate system were well known. Climate scientists have a good idea of the
large-scale flow of ocean currents, but detailed measurements are not
available. They know the basic physics of cloud formation and its
thermodynamics but do not fully understand detailed cloud microphysics or the
complex connections between climate and ecosystems. And with complex nonlinear
systems, details are important. So we need to make an effort to improve our
understanding of our climate system and its components before we try to operate
on it. We can engineer a car or a plane because we know the underlying physics
of motion, combustion, and flight, and we understand the role of every
component. Can geoengineers say the same about climate?

Simon Driscoll
Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics
Department of Physics
University of Oxford

Office: +44 (0) 1865 272930
Mobile: +44 (0) 7935314940