Ken

As always (I am a stuck record on this, for those old enough to remember
stuck records) surely it depends on the weasel word "we"

Imagine a world in which
*Bad Stuff, maybe Very Bad Stuff, is happening
*Research, including some field research, strongly suggests that sunshine
geoengineering could greatly reduce the level of Bad Stuff, and there are
parties capable of deploying it who are also capable of doing without any
further emitting devices.
*There are other parties/jurisdictions/countries, maybe just a few, which
are adamant that they won't stop building emitting devices

Should the parties capable of geoengineering forego the option because
there will still be new emitting devices being built, permitting lots of
Bad Stuff that they could have stopped? Should they force the other parties
to stop building emitting devices by force of arms? Or should they deploy
anyway?

Perhaps it depends on the size of the recalcitrant fraction. If 10% of the
world is still building emitters, is it ok to geoengineer? But if 10%, why
not 20%...

Alternatively, on teh basis that you can't make people be good and
shouldn't willingly allow Bad Stuff to happen when it might be avoided,
maybe it is *only* the parties that do the geoengineering who should feel
obliged to give up building emitting devices. But the parties capable of
geoengineering might themselves just be 10% of the world...

ever