We're talking about coupling SRM deployment to an extreme level of
emissions mitigation achieved very rapidly--like some others here I think
that is laudable in principle but effectively impossible to accomplish in
practice.  But we're also overlooking the much discussed possibility of
linking SRM deployment to robust CDR measures.  This would certainly be
challenging as well but likely less so than an abrupt restructuring of the
world economy.  Assuming CDR methods worked cost-effectively (a big
assumption), this could produce the same net result as prohibiting all new
CO2-emitting devices, while admittedly allowing relatively greater use of
the atmosphere as a "waste dump."

I would be uncomfortable at this stage limiting SRM use only to
catastrophic, emergency scenarios and disallowing use for peak shaving.
 For all that has been written about emergency use, it's far from clear
that this would be workable in practice.  Much more research needs to be
done on this aspect of SRM.

Josh Horton