But philosophical and scientific approach must watch out for the hazards of
reification, as when emissions became a rate when most people think it a
quantity. The terms one picks may frame the whole discussion, as has
happened with "global warming" becoming the planet's near-surface air temp
averaged over land and water, all four seasons, etc.

This focus has lost 1) heat storage in deeper ocean than that affecting
near-surface air temp, and 2) the climate effects due to uneven heating
(land 2x ocean, Arctic ever greater) and circulation changes (polar jet
meanders etc).

As I have said elsewhere, the whole climate problem is in sad need of
reframing.
-Bill

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Andrew Lockley <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Sadly not. As the recent discussions with ETC group of  this list shows,
> having solutions doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for publicly dismissing
> others'.
>
> Seems the concept of 'least worst' option hasn't permeated the climate
> debate.

>  On 19 Jan 2014 09:33, "Charles H. Greene" <c...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>>  When we are on the verge of truly catastrophic climate change, I wonder
>> what philosophers of science will offer us as an alternative? Obviously, if
>> they wish to discourage scientists from even exploring possible
>> geoengineering options, they must have alternatives to offer, right?
>>

>>  On Jan 18, 2014, at 10:31 PM, Andrew Lockley <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> http://anthem-group.net/2014/01/18/what-would-heidegger-say-about-geoengineering-clive-hamilton/
>>
>> What Would Heidegger Say About Geoengineering? Clive Hamilton
>>
>> Abstract: Proposals to respond to climate change by geoengineering the
>> Earth’s climate system, such as by regulating the amount of sunlight
>> reaching the planet, may be seen as a radical fulfillment of Heidegger’s
>> understanding of technology as destiny. Before geoengineering was
>> conceivable, the Earth as a whole had to be representable as a total
>> object, an object captured in climate models that form the epistemological
>> basis for climate engineering. Geoengineering is thinkable because of the
>> ever-tightening grip of Enframing, Heidegger’s term for the modern epoch of
>> Being. Yet, by objectifying the world as a whole, geoengineering goes
>> beyond the mere representation of nature as ‘standing reserve’; it requires
>> us to think Heidegger further, to see technology as a response to disorder
>> breaking through. If in the climate crisis nature reveals itself to be a
>> sovereign force then we need a phenomenology from nature’s point of view.
>> If ‘world grounds itself on earth, and earth juts through world’, then the
>> climate crisis is the jutting through, and geoengineering is a last attempt
>> to deny it, a vain attempt to take control of destiny rather than enter a
>> free relation with technology. In that lies the danger.
>>
>>  --
>>

>>    --

  William H. Calvin
    wcal...@uw.edu      WilliamCalvin.org