Dear David,

You are right!
To increase the height of smokestack exit, you either need:
1/ very tall stacks,
2/ hotter plumes...
3/ or you can increase the exit velocity by boosting the speed with a fan,
4/ or by taking advantage of the wind, as the horizontal air flow can be
used to induce a secondary vertical air flow (there exist commercially
available modifications of conventional stacks into a "high plume stacks"
see figure attached. Those systems generally apply Bernoulli's principle
and by venturi effect boost the speed of the exhaust from the smokestack)...
5/... *or also make profit of natural (or artificial) atmospheric
convection processes*...
6/ or a combination of several of the foregoing!

*Convective processes over Asia frequently transport boundary layer air
into the upper troposphere (UT) where long range transport associated with
movement in the jet stream rapidly redistributes Asian emissions globally*
within timescales of days to weeks (Liu et al., 2003
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib26>
 and Turquety et al., 2008
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib47>).
Maximum convective activity occurs during summer, when the Asian summer
monsoon dictates tropospheric circulation over South Asia (Qian and Lee,
2000
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib35>).
During this period frequent and persistent deep convection over the
continent efficiently lofts polluted air masses from the boundary layer to
the UT on a large scale, with uplifted pollutants being transported to the
west where they contribute to elevated levels of tropospheric ozone over
the Mediterranean (Baker et al., 2011
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib3>,
Lelieveld
et al., 2002
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib24>,
Park
et al., 2009
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib34>,
Randel
et al., 2010
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib36>,
Scheeren
et al., 2003
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib39>
 and Schuck et al., 2010
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib40>).
In winter, convective activity is at a minimum and uplifting of boundary
layer air is further suppressed by the Siberian High (Liu et al., 2003
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib26>).
Warm conveyor belts (WCBs) act to lift air from the Asian boundary layer
into the free troposphere where it is then transported across the Pacific,
with maximum activity in winter and spring (Cooper et al., 2004
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib11>
 and Eckhardt et al., 2004
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib13>).
Similarly, WCBs also bring air from North America to the European UT, with
maximum activity in winter (Auvray and Bey, 2005
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib2>
 and Eckhardt et al., 2004
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014004567#bib13>).

*Extracted from:* Baker, A. K., Traud, S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A., Hoor, P.,
Neumaier, M., Oram, D. E., ... & Ziereis, H. (2014). Pollution Patterns in
the Upper Troposphere over Europe and Asia observed by CARIBIC. *Atmospheric
Environment*, Volume 96
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/13522310/96/supp/C>, October
2014, Pages 245–256.
Cheers