Sev,

I strongly agree with Michael Hayes comments on:

1. The aggregation of buoyant flakes -  I think this will happen as Michael
says and is due to Langmuir circulation - see this Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langmuir_circulation and this recent article
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/08/30/3220549_oceans-distinctive-lines-caused.html?rh=1.

2. Royaly payment from those who catch fish within the 'managed plume' - I
doubt that has any legal basis. Your equating such payments with states
charging foreign fishing fleets to fish their EEZs does not hold water as
those states have a clear legal basis to do so under the UN Convention on
the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). You need to talk to an international lawyer
about this.

3. Liability - Michaels' comments seem very valid to me.

A couple of other comments:

4. Unless your bouyant flakes are incredibly small, you are going to get
many more than one phytoplankton organism accessing a flake's mineral
content as these organisms can be as small as 1 micron in diameter.

5. It should also be noted that the London Protocol (LP) amendments
covering ocean fertilisation set a minimum standard and that Contracting
Parties are at liberty to set more stringent measures if they so wish -
Article 3.4 of the LP.

Best wishes

Chris.