Back in 2018, we discussed whether we should move to C++14 in order to take
advantage of minor features like std::make_unique and [[deprecated]]. At
that time the consensus seemed to be that the change was not warranted [1].
More recently, I've found the use of C++14 auto lambdas to be a compelling
advantage for reasons I described in a pull request [2]. I don't see a
reason not to make the change now, since it should have no effect on the
number of platforms that can build GEOS. (The only versions of gcc and MSVC
that can build GEOS also support C++14. It's possible that GEOS builds on
clang 3.3 and this change would require 3.4, though the earliest version we
are currently testing with is 7.) Are there any concerns with making this
change?

Dan

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2018-December/008768.html
[2] https://github.com/libgeos/geos/pull/800