Just a side note to think about since we are discussing this.

The only issue I see possibly is with the Redhat/CentOS systems.

I know that yum.postgresql.org tries to offer the latest GEOS even on ancient
systems such as CentOS 7 which sadly many of my clients are still on.  I think
though it uses the GCC shipping with these.

Looking at one of these boxes, I see gcc 4.8.5 (and it’s running GEOS 3.10,
PostGIS 3.1) – just cause I haven’t upgraded it.  I suspect I could upgrade
this to PG 15 and would get GEOS 3.11/ PostGIS 3.3.1.  So I think that would
mean some of these systems won’t be able to run say a GEOS 3.12.

Though I’m not saying that’s a reason to not push C++ 14.  Just throwing it out
there as an observation point.  CentOS 7 is on its last legs anyway.

I haven’t checked what RHEL / Rocky Linux 8/9 ship with, I suspect it’s a C++
14 GCC so not a huge concern if that is the case.

Thanks,

Regina