On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Andrea Aime <aa...@opengeo.org> wrote:
> Rob Atkinson ha scritto:
>>
>> I see Gabriel is in the loop - this functionality sounds similar to
>> the sql-datastore module included in the 1.6 community-schemas
>> dependencies - can we get an analysis of how this new initiative
>> compares - and if its equivalent (or more complete) work with Ben to
>> ensure we have some unit tests using app-schema for the functionality.
>
> Should this evaluation delay the integration of the free-form jdbc database
> sql queries?

no - dont see why it should - it was always planned to deprecate
sql-datastore in favour of full support in jdbc

> And what do you intend to do if this functionality is not general
> enough?

Fix it after establishing suitable unit tests.
It does raise an issue of unit testing jdbc functionality across all
the dependent modules - theoretically the API should define the
contract, and normal full integration tests should check for any
regressions. I would not be suprised however if there are API aspects
that are not fully defined - for example transactions against a
feature type such a sql query might fail.

So, the first step would be to have Gabriel's view, as the original
implementor, whether this functionality is equivalent, and then a
sanity check against the JDBC data store API to see if we have
generated any inconsistencies or hidden contracts that will break
things.

Rob