On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Justin Deoliveira
> <jdeol...@opengeo.org>wrote:
>
>> +1 with the caveat of getting the security work in. It is a pretty huge
>> amount of work so i imagine it will lead to instability, but it would be
>> pretty show stopping for us to have to wait until 2.3 to include it.
>>
>> THe work is nearing completion, Christian and I are currently wrapping up
>> some loose ends. The new security documentation is proceeding along.
>>
>> I hope to be in a position to have a proposal ready within 2 weeks time.
>>

> Wow, I haven't heard about that since quite a bit of time, thought the
> work on it stalled.
> That patch has been in the works for... how long? 6 months?

Yeah we have actually been working pretty hard on it :) Things are coming
along nicely.

>> Chris also mentioned the virtual service / workspace local stuff. I would
>> like to be able to say virtual services is "complete" for 2.2, with the
>> ability to store styles and layer groups within a workspace. The styles
>> work is pretty near completion... the only remaining issue is the moving of
>> styles and its associated resources, which I think I
>> know how to solve.
>>
>> Layer groups per workspace hasn't started yet... and is estimated at
>> about a weeks worth of effort.
>>
>> So all in all I guess I am pushing for one more month to add new features
>> before locking down.
>>

> One month is quite a bit of time, the other two GSIP in line are also from
> OpenGeo, can they wait
> that long?

 I will let Gabriel comment but I believe so.

> I was hoping to cut 2.2.0 towards stable sooner rather than later, but I
> agree the changes you're
> proposing are good to make GeoServer more palatable in larger deployments.
>
> I can see how different parties will want to add this and that and keep on
> going, but at some
> point we have to drop the blade and call it done.
> Waiting one more month is ok, what I'm worried about is a "final rush"
> where everybody
> tries to commit new eventually large changes and bring us significantly
> back in terms of
> stability

Yeah, one of the problems with not having a real road map of any kind.
CErtainly if people think one month is excessive that is fine and we can
move forward sooner, but we would much rather have these features in the
core of 2.2 rather than in some forked version of it. So if people are ok
with another month it would be much appreciated. As compensation we would
be happy to pony up all the resources to push the release out :)

> Not pushing back, I'm ok with security and workspace changes coming in
> (assuming they
> are clean, well presented, and well reviewed, but I trust they are going
> be), just want to express
> my worry about large amount of changes in the eve of a beta.
>
> Cheers
> Andrea

> Ing. Andrea Aime
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.