Hey Chris,

For the security work i am hoping to have the proposal out by early next
week for people to start digesting. In terms of code things are winding
down enough to commit to svn when the proposal is accepted.

As for the workspace local styles/layer groups work, i would say things are
code complete, really just need to write the proposals at this point.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Chris Holmes <chol...@opengeo.org> wrote:

> Where are we at with this?
>
> Even if all of Justin's enhancements haven't made it aboard yet it
> seems like it could be a good idea to get something out for people to
> start to kick the tires of?  As far as I know it's ok for a beta2 to
> have more features than a beta1.  It's only at RC status where we
> truly need to lock it down.  And it'd be good to have a clear plan of
> what's going to be in each beta so we don't constantly get people
> wanting to add just one more feature.

I will have to disagree here. If the security stuff is going to make it
into 2.2 I would prefer it be in the very first release since it is such a
massive change. Generally I think as we move from beta to rc to official
release things should get more stable, not less. And certainly there is
going to be a period of instability once the security works lands.

I would be ok with this for the workspace local style/layergroup stuff
since they are much smaller changes.

> So I'm thinking a beta1 as soon as possible, and a beta2 when Justin's
> features are in, at least if there's someone who could do a release in
> the next week or two.  Right now we're telling users to go get
> nightlies - having a beta I think would make many more comfortable
> with installing and implicitly helping bug test things.
>
> Sounds like OpenGeo, CSIRO and GeoSolutions all have major
> functionality in this release, so perhaps we can split up the load?
>
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies
> <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au> wrote:
> > +1. In app-schema land we have huge memory and performance improvements
> > (joining support), WMS, and GML 3.2. Many bugs fixed.
> >
> > On 26/01/12 15:19, Andrea Aime wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm wondering if it's time to start packing up trunk and start releasing
> >> betas with an outlook of releasing a stable version of GeoServer 2.2.0
> >> in 2/3 months.
> >>
> >> The current GeoServer trunk is packing a good amount of functionality
> >> that is not available on the stable series (wfs 2.0, time/elevation,
> >> rendering transformations and so on) and from personal experience seems
> >> to behaving rather well, with a quality that already matches if not
> >> exceeds what we'd expect out of a beta.
> >>
> >> Jody has been waiting to release a GeoTools 8.0 for a while already and
> >> I see new GeoServer GSIPs lining up that could shake the current
> configuration/catalog
> >> subsystem from their foundations, potentially delaying the ability
> >> to pack up a stable release by a few months.
> >>
> >> So I'm wondering, is it time to call it done and start harderning it
> >> towards a stable release?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andrea
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ing. Andrea Aime
> >> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> >> Tech lead
> >>
> >> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> >> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> >> Italy
> >>
> >> phone: +39 0584 962313
> >> fax:      +39 0584 962313
> >> mob:    +39 339 8844549
> >>
> >> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> >> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> >> http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
> >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
> >> http://twitter.com/geowolf

> > --
> > Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
> > Software Engineer
> > CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
> > Australian Resources Research Centre

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org