Dear GeoServer,

I have been directed to this mailing list as a place to propose an improvement.
I had asked this question originally on GIS StackExchange thinking it was a
geonetwork problem but a reply has pointed me to it being a GeoServer issue.

My question is well documented in this Q&A thread
(https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/329684/how-to-include-the-metadata-in-a-shapefile-download-from-geonetwork)
 so please have a quick look at it to understand the issue.

In summary I would like GeoServer to include the XML (metadata) file along with
the rest of the files that are zipped up for a shapefile. I would typically
document my dataset using ArcCatalog and that creates the additional XML file
holding all the metadata. As I say in my question on GIS SE we get into a
scenario of distributing datasets without any metadata which is not good!

Ian's reply seems to suggest a tweak in the source code could resolve this, but
I'm neither a heavy user of github nor a web developer so I'm hoping this could
be something that is added by someone way more competent than I!

One thing I can think of is the xml file is not a mandatory part of a shapefile
so the tweak to the source code would need to include it if it existed
otherwise carry on zipping it up without failing.

Thank you,

Duncan

Duncan Hornby
GIS Developer