Dear Jody,

If reclassifying my idea as a feature request then please do. I don't see this
as a major change to anything just a tweak to include an additional file if it
exists.

For your two questions, don't know and don't understand what you are asking.

As for your ideas, idea 1 is exactly what I was thinking, simply include the
xml file in the zip and if I have understood you correctly that is more of a
tweak to GeoTools than anything to do with GeoServer? Ian's response seems to
hint that it could be a simple change in the code here
(https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wfs/src/main/java/org/geoserver/wfs/response/ShapeZipOutputFormat.java#L231)?
 Or is it a tweak to both systems?

Your second idea was initially more interesting but when you look at that
GeoTools page you provide a link to the additional files are either symbology
files or indexing files. Indexes can easily be created by the end user and is
less data to be storing and throwing around the internet and well I'm of the
opinion that the colour scheme I like is never what you like or want so why
include it. If a corporate styling is required that could be obtained via
alternative means. So this focusses me back to idea 1 which is simply include
the xml file in the zipfile it is exists. This fulfils my desire to be
supplying data with its metadata (if it has it). Idea 3 seems not appropriate
to me?

Duncan