The real challenge is our community does not have any spare capacity to
tackle new feature requests at present. However let's see if this is
possible, incase you want to pursue this with a volunteer or service
provider...

Initially I think this would be a feature request - we tend to save
proposals for strategic choices that impact application stability (and thus
need to be voted on.)

GeoServer by itself does not interact directly with Shapefiles, we use the
GeoTools data access library. GeoTools, does not have any significant
support for the shape file metadata file, so ...

Q: Do you know if the ESRI the shp,xml file format is documented anywhere,
or has been reverse engineered?

Q: Does the shape file metadata xml file include the concept of bounds or a
description of attributes? Both may of been modified or processed as part
of a WFS request ...

Options/Ideas:

1. Improve the GeoTools shape file representation
<https://docs.geotools.org/stable/userguide/library/data/shape.html> to
communicate if an metadata xml file was present, allowing us to check if is
present and blindly include the contents when zipping ...

2. Improve the GeoServer FeatureTypeInfo API, so any format can nominate
files to be included when zipping. This would allow other things like a
readme, sld, etc... to be packaged up if present. This would be an API
change so a proposal would be required.

3. Create a new custom format that does exactly what you want ...
--
Jody Garnett