Hi, some answers inline.

2010/8/24 marwa El-said <melsaid2...@hotmail.com>

>  *Hello,*
>
> * *
>
> *I have two issues when trying to create a SQL server DataStore on
> geoServer*
>
> *First issue is :*
>
> I tried to create a SQL Server DataStore [SQL Server 2008 installed on a
> remote server],
>
> I follow steps in Documentation then connected successfully and all layers
> be listed even the metadata layers,
>
> I published layers that I need into a group Layer to make my own map
>
> but, each layer has no a known type icon[point , polygon, line] shown in
> the list
>
> when I tried to preview layers separately or in a layer group
>
> there is a thrown exception result [attached with file name “*error.jpeg”*
> ]
>

> I need to know how can geoServer know the type of each layer in SQL server
> database
>
> And if it can detected each layer’s type automatically or needs any
> additional configurations to do that?

It would help to have the entire stack trace of the error. Can you obtain it
from your geoserver log?

> *Second issue is :*
>
> I can’t create a DataStore with SQL Server 2008 that hosted locally on my
> machine and I found the following error appears
>
> “Error creating data store, check the parameters. Error message: Unable to
> obtain connection: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (The TCP/IP
> connection to the host SWD-4, port 1433 has failed. Error: connect timed
> out. Verify the connection properties, check that an instance of SQL Server
> is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and
> that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port)”
>
> * *
>
> * *
>
> *Kindly find the attached file with resulting error from a remote
> connection to SQL Server DataBase*

Sounds like a network issue on your local machine. I would check (a) what
port sql server is listening on. Also check what network interfaces it is
configured to listen on. And then (b) check that there is no firewall in
place that would be blocking access to sql server.

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Marwa Elsaid
>
> Software Developer
>
> Globe Telecom S.A.E
>
> 72 Gameat El Dowal El Arabia St., Mohandessen - Giza - Egypt
>
> http://www.gt-egypt.com/
> Mobile:(+2)0104848547

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org