I have not used an external upload with GeoTIFFs recently.  However, I work
with and on the RESTConfig API quite regularly.

The external.tiff notation cues GeoServer to accept a path to a file, which
it then loads directly.  ("External" as in, you uploaded the file already
through a mechanism external to GeoServer.)

--data-binary @/path/to/file cues curl to send the content of a file as the
body of the request.

So, this request:

> curl -v -u admin:geoserver -XPUT --data-binary
> @/media/data/images/SPOT5/S090829143259765/SCENE01/IMAGERY.TIF
> http://192.168.241.24:54900/geoserver/rest/workspaces/storm-workspace/coveragestores/test/external.geotiff

Sends an entire GeoTIFF and instructs GeoServer to treat it as a filename
(which means loading it into a single string, among other things).  The heap
space error is not surprising after that.

However, I believe this command is getting close.  Try using:
--data-ascii=/media/data/images/SPOT5/S090829143259765/SCENE01/IMAGERY.TIF

instead of the data-binary you were passing before.

Hope this helps.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/