From: Andrea Aime [mailto:andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it]
Sent: Friday, 19 November 2010 7:31 AM
To: Robert Buckley
Cc: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] What makes more sense?...lots of layers or a
complicated sld?

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Robert Buckley
<robertdbuck...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a GIS project which has become a wms service. The project was not
> designed for the web, and therefore the datastructure was based on 110
> different shapefiles.
>
> My job is to publish a wms service displaying these layers.
>
> There are approx 110 shp...points,lines, polygons and text. A black/white
> 60% transparent topographic map is draped over the project in Desktop GIS.

Generally speaking, better to setup thing so that they make sense :-)
You can't just merge layers if they have a different set of attributes.
If you have a few that are purely geometric or have the same attributes
maybe
you can merge them and add a classified column, and then use sld rules
to tell them apart.

For sure you don't want to display a map that has all of 110 layers enabled
at the same time, cause that will result in 110 separate queries, but
if the layers are legit, that would also result in a map so crowded that
is almost impossible to read.

So merge layers only if they share the same meaning/attributes (e.g.,
create a road layers or out "highways", "primary roads", "secondary roads"
if you have those as layers), use scale dependencies to show only
the layers that it makes sense to show at a certain scale, and allow
the user to turn on and off the layer that do not make sense as part
of the base map

Hope this helps

Senior Software Engineer

55054  Massarosa (LU)