> @Paul, I have currently the problem with about 25000 Layers, so it is
> impossible to search in the table of contents.
Oh dear, something lost in translation here. I should have been more
explicit - when they contacted us to ask for the search facility, we instead
got them to simplify their map.

I think ESRI have the right idea here - their model is basemap + operational
layers. See
http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/devsummit09/papers/building_gre
at_web_maps_dev_summit_cb_final.pdf for a good backgrounder. By design, the
number of operational layers is kept low in each web map, since it is
focussed on one particular task/workflow.

Regards, Paul