If you have so many types of symbol on your map, won't the legend be very
long regardless of whether or not they are grouped by layer?  I don't see a
legend on the map you linked to, so perhaps I am missing something.

You may also be able to take advantage of the RULE parameter in
GetLegendGraphic requests, which allows you to get a legend graphic for just
one rule from a larger style.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/