Ciao Phil,
I am testing using  a nightly build form trunk and here is the result:

-1- a put a mosaic on a network laptop on our net and I pointed the
imagemoisac to it:

\\192.168.1.105\work\mosaic_sample

of course (murphy's law) it worked

-2- ok, I said, let me try by name:

\\Portatile-ele\work\mosaic_sample

it worked again.

K, let's see:

-1-. I am running a war in tomcat which I started myself (no service)
-2- I tried to access the remote share myself beforehand and I had to
authenticate
-3- I checked I had write privileges on the remote share since the
imagemosaic must build its index

Thinking.... let me install tomcat as a service and try again. I am
using 6.0.18....

Well, right now, I don't manage to get it working, neither by name nor
by ip. Mmhh, looked around a bit
it seems that when you run tomcat as a service there might be
difficulties accessing a remote share. I have not had more time to
investigate atm.

One thing I can suggest it to use the geotools developer logging level
and send me the logs of geoserver.

Ciao,
Simone.

Ing. Simone Giannecchini