Hello, good morning,

I was pointed to this mailinglist by Simone Giannecchini via Twitter,
thank you Simone!

The company where I work has created a software package containing
Tomcat, Geoserver and GDAL, running in Windows Server 2003 (with Tomcat
Connector). For some years now this has been in operation on 32-bit.
Users of the package use normal FeatureTypes but also some Coverages
like GeoTIFF and ECW. This works all fine, without problems.

Now the wish is to be able to have a 64-bit version of this package for
a number of reasons. We managed to have everything working now,
Geoserver and other applications do work as designed on x64. GeoTIFF
images can be loaded and displayed in Geoserver as expected. Except ECW
images. When entering the path to the ecw file, Geoserver keeps telling
me that the URL is invalid: "Invalid url: 'file:c:\ecw\image.ecw' for
format type:'ECW'. "

I tried variations with the URL, capitals where needed. The variation
shown here is a copy of the production server but that one is running
W2K3 32-bit. I also tried to do network paths: //server/ecw/image.ecw.
Same result. It does find the image file, as when I enter a path where
no file will be found the message "Could not find file:
C:\ecw\Foobar.ecw. Perhaps location was entered wrong?" - as expected.
I also copied the ecw files to the Coverages directory to use the
relative path: file:Coverages\ECW\image.ecw. Same, fails on the invalid
message.

The setup is as follows:

*         Windows Server 2008 R2

*         IIS Application Request Routing (ARR)

*         Tomcat 64-bit

*         Geoserver 1.7.7

*         GDAL 64-bit from http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/
Also with the ECW installer

*         Latest JAVA JRE and JDK are both installed

*         Zend Server

The funniest part of it all is that there are absolutely no
registrations of an error in the logs of Geoserver, Tomcat and Zend. 0.
I can try to add as many ECW files as I like, the single error message
is this Invalid URL.

Geoserver is showing ECW as Coverage plugin:

Config > WCS >  CoveragePlugins

Gtopo30 / 1.0  Gtopo30 Coverage Format

ImageMosaic / 1.0  Image mosaicking plugin

GeoTIFF / 1.1  Tagged Image File Format with Geographic information

JP2ECW / 1.0  JP2K (ECW) Coverage Format

ArcGrid / 1.0  Arc Grid Coverage Format

ECW / 1.0  ECW Coverage Format

ERDASImg / 1.0  Erdas Imagine Coverage Format

DTED / 1.0  DTED Coverage Format

WorldImage / 1.0  A raster file accompanied by a spatial data file

NITF / 1.0  NITF Coverage Format

EHdr / 1.0  EHdr Coverage Format

Gdalinfo -formats also show ECW and others.

The DLL that is used is gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll, dated 23-01-2011, 10:57.

I'm getting a bit lost here, there must be something blocking the use
but without any messages in logfiles it's like talking to a wall.

The users are licensed to use ECW on their servers. Any help to guide us
to the source of the problems would be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Martijn Coenen
  The Netherlands