Hello,
please, read below...

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Martijn Coenen <mart...@covadis.nl> wrote:

> Hello, good morning,
>

> I was pointed to this mailinglist by Simone Giannecchini via Twitter, thank
> you Simone!
>

> The company where I work has created a software package containing Tomcat,
> Geoserver and GDAL, running in Windows Server 2003 (with Tomcat Connector).
> For some years now this has been in operation on 32-bit. Users of the
> package use normal FeatureTypes but also some Coverages like GeoTIFF and
> ECW. This works all fine, without problems.
>

> Now the wish is to be able to have a 64-bit version of this package for a
> number of reasons. We managed to have everything working now, Geoserver and
> other applications do work as designed on x64. GeoTIFF images can be loaded
> and displayed in Geoserver as expected. Except ECW images. When entering the
> path to the ecw file, Geoserver keeps telling me that the URL is invalid:
> “Invalid
> url: 'file:c:\ecw\image.ecw' for format type:'ECW'. “
>

> I tried variations with the URL, capitals where needed. The variation shown
> here is a copy of the production server but that one is running W2K3 32-bit.
> I also tried to do network paths: //server/ecw/image.ecw. Same result. It
> does find the image file, as when I enter a path where no file will be found
> the message “Could not find file: C:\ecw\Foobar.ecw. Perhaps location was
> entered wrong?” – as expected.  I also copied the ecw files to the Coverages
> directory to use the relative path: file:Coverages\ECW\image.ecw. Same,
> fails on the invalid message.
>

> The setup is as follows:
>
> ·         Windows Server 2008 R2
>
> ·         IIS Application Request Routing (ARR)
>
> ·         Tomcat 64-bit
>
> ·         Geoserver 1.7.7
>
> ·         GDAL 64-bit from http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/

Could you please let me know which specific version of GDAL binaries did you
download from that link?
Geoserver 1.7.7 is leveraging on a old version of ImageIO-Ext (the library
which provides ImageIO plugins based on GDAL) which uses a patched version
of GDAL 1.4.5.
Therefore, I think that only a few methods of the downloaded GDAL version
will work with this configuration if you have downloaded a too recent
version (This could maybe explain why the driver is recognized although it
doesn't work).

A final question:
As you say, everything worked fine on previous Windows 32 systems. Which set
of GDAL libraries are you using on that system?

Please, let us know so I can provide more feedbacks on this topic.
Best Regards,
Daniele

> Also with the ECW installer
>
> ·         Latest JAVA JRE and JDK are both installed
>
> ·         Zend Server
>

> The funniest part of it all is that there are absolutely no registrations
> of an error in the logs of Geoserver, Tomcat and Zend. 0. I can try to add
> as many ECW files as I like, the single error message is this Invalid URL.
>

> Geoserver is showing ECW as Coverage plugin:
>
> Config > WCS >  CoveragePlugins
>

> Gtopo30 / 1.0  Gtopo30 Coverage Format
>
> ImageMosaic / 1.0  Image mosaicking plugin
>
> GeoTIFF / 1.1  Tagged Image File Format with Geographic information
>
> JP2ECW / 1.0  JP2K (ECW) Coverage Format
>
> ArcGrid / 1.0  Arc Grid Coverage Format
>
> ECW / 1.0  ECW Coverage Format
>
> ERDASImg / 1.0  Erdas Imagine Coverage Format
>
> DTED / 1.0  DTED Coverage Format
>
> WorldImage / 1.0  A raster file accompanied by a spatial data file
>
> NITF / 1.0  NITF Coverage Format
>
> EHdr / 1.0  EHdr Coverage Format
>

> Gdalinfo –formats also show ECW and others.
>
> The DLL that is used is gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll, dated 23-01-2011, 10:57.
>

> I’m getting a bit lost here, there must be something blocking the use but
> without any messages in logfiles it’s like talking to a wall.
>
> The users are licensed to use ECW on their servers. Any help to guide us to
> the source of the problems would be very appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Martijn Coenen
>   The Netherlands

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli