Hello Andrea and David and thanks for your input.

I have tried UOM meter instead of pixels, but it made things even more
complicated as far as I could see.
I will look into CSS to see if my VERY LARGE SLDs could be made more
"readable" or at least shorter.

One SLD file with 13 scaleintervals each having 3 - 8 areaintervals means
that I have to write the name of the SVG-file, Stroke colours etc many
times.
My guestion:
It would be very nice to be able to start the SLD with PARAMETERS
(SVG_file_1, SVG_file_2 ...) ie.
SVG_file_1 = xyz_1.svg
SVG_file_2 = xyz_2.svg
etc.
and then I only have to change xyz_1.svg, xyz_2.svg etc. to my SVG
filenamnes right in the beginning of the SLD file.

I hope you understand my problem.
I looked at the "env" variable but I couldn´t figure out if it could be
used.
My webcartography testing needs 30+ different SLD files for different
WMS-layers and it takes a long time editing the SLDs when I´m testing
something different ...
Regards Anders Söderman Stockholm, Sweden

2011/6/12 Anders Söderman <anders.soder...@gisassistans.se>:
> Hello, I´m working with an SLD which have
> 13 different scale intervals from
> 0           – 1:750
> 1:750       – 1:1 500
> …
> 1:1 536 000 –
>
> It would be very useful to be able to use the existing “GetMap request-
> scale” on the screen as an input to calculate my rendering parameters
> instead of having a huge SLD covering all 13 scaleintervals, each having
> many rules for text and about ten different area-intervals.
>
> Does GeoServer “know” the scale as a parameter which I can use or is it
> possible to calculate the scale within the SLD using BB and the size of
the
> mapwindow, which I suppose GeoServer needs to know before sending back the
> GetMap result?
>
> My goal is to optimize the number of symbols being rendered in each
polygon
> to have as few renderingsymbols as possible without leaving an
area/polygon
> without a symbol within the polygon.

There is no way to compute the scale in the SLD at the moment, though
we might provide the scale in the future on trunk (what will become 2.2.x),
of course as a GS specific extension.

However most of the time what people want to do there is do have line
widths that grow as one zooms in, that you can get specifying symbolizer
sizes in ground units:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/styling/sld-extensions/uom.html

Hope this helps

Sent: den 12 juni 2011 10:46
> Another approach is to use the CSS module ..
> http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/community/css/index.html
> Read about '@scale' here ..
> http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/community/css/filters.html

Hmmm... as far as I can see those are just the equivalents of
minScaleDenominator/maxScaleDenominator in SLD.
Allows to enable/disable styles by the current scale, but does not make one
know what the current scale value is.