OK

The Ordnance Survey (OS) have released huge amounts of data over the past few
years. 1:250k, 1:10k etc.

The first dataset I want to publish is called StreetView.

It contains 21k tiles. These are not GeoTIFFs (but not a problem, I have the
world files and can convert them)
Each tile is between 1 and 5 Mb.

gdalinfo gives
MacPro:data russ$ gdalinfo sj/sj55ne.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: sj55ne.tif
Size is 5000, 5000
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_COPYRIGHT=ORDNANCE SURVEY CROWN COPYRIGHT 2009
  TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2009:09:11 04:41:38
  TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION=OS Street View SJ55NE
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=254
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=254
Image Structure Metadata:
  COMPRESSION=LZW
  INTERLEAVE=BAND
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 5000.0)
Upper Right ( 5000.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 5000.0, 5000.0)
Center      ( 2500.0, 2500.0)
Band 1 Block=5000x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette
  Color Table (RGB with 256 entries)

The data is broken down into 100km squares and depending on the
Easting/Northing gets a two letter code (the 'SJ' bit in the filename)
Each square may contain an average of 250 tiles (It depends on if it is by the
coast or not)

I am currently running GS 2.1.4 in a Linux VM on my Mac Pro but it will go on a
real server in the future, probably with GS2.2+

The server will be running Linux (Not sure which but a Debian variant)

I had finally got my head round creating a large TIFF then allowing GS to
'cookie cut and then tried the ImageMosaic and it saved lots of time.
But I need this to perform well and don't know which will be more 'performant'

Thanks for your time

Russ