From: r...@russ-hore.co.uk
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:56:10 +0100
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] What to do if gdal_merge make too large a file

OK
The Ordnance Survey (OS) have released huge amounts of data over the past few
years. 1:250k, 1:10k etc.
The first dataset I want to publish is called StreetView.
It contains 21k tiles. These are not GeoTIFFs (but not a problem, I have the
world files and can convert them)Each tile is between 1 and 5 Mb.
gdalinfo givesMacPro:data russ$ gdalinfo sj/sj55ne.tifDriver:
GTiff/GeoTIFFFiles: sj55ne.tifSize is 5000, 5000Coordinate System is
`'Metadata:  TIFFTAG_COPYRIGHT=ORDNANCE SURVEY CROWN COPYRIGHT 2009
TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2009:09:11 04:41:38  TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION=OS Street View
SJ55NE  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=254
TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=254Image Structure Metadata:  COMPRESSION=LZW
INTERLEAVE=BANDCorner Coordinates:Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)Lower Left  (
0.0, 5000.0)Upper Right ( 5000.0,    0.0)Lower Right ( 5000.0, 5000.0)Center
  ( 2500.0, 2500.0)Band 1 Block=5000x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette  Color
Table (RGB with 256 entries)
The data is broken down into 100km squares and depending on the
Easting/Northing gets a two letter code (the 'SJ' bit in the filename)Each
square may contain an average of 250 tiles (It depends on if it is by the coast
or not)
I am currently running GS 2.1.4 in a Linux VM on my Mac Pro but it will go on a
real server in the future, probably with GS2.2+
The server will be running Linux (Not sure which but a Debian variant)
I had finally got my head round creating a large TIFF then allowing GS to
'cookie cut and then tried the ImageMosaic and it saved lots of time.But I need
this to perform well and don't know which will be more 'performant'
Thanks for your time
Russ
On 30 Jul 2012, at 16:08, Simone Giannecchini