Hi David,

in order to get the expression based dynamic coloring to work I tried the custom .jar with both GeoServer versions (2.1.3 and 2.2.3) - unfortunately without success.
Here is what happens with several different configurations:

GS 2.1.3 + CSS Module 2.1.x w/ your custom geocss .jar:

The CSS Module doesn't seem to work properly with this combination. I cannot even create a new CSS style in the interface.
Once I try that, it gives me this exception:

org.apache.wicket.WicketRuntimeException: Method onFormSubmitted of interface org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.IFormSubmitListener targeted at component [MarkupContainer [Component id = layer-selection]] threw an exception
(...)
(...)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: scala/Serializable
(...)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: scala.Serializable

GS 2.2.1 + "standard" CSS Module 2.2.x:

Once I click on the "CSS Demo" link in the web interface, everything becomes very slow and in the console I keep getting these errors:
OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I've found some other threads in the internet dealing with this problem.
Of course I could give the tomcat more PermGen memory space, but still I wonder why this is happening, since it wasn't a problem at all in GS 2.1.3

GS 2.2.1 + CSS Module 2.2.x w/ your custom geocss .jar:

Also memory issues. Some more specific error messages I get include:

ERROR [lang.Objects] - Error serializing object class org.geoserver.community.css.web.CssDemoPage [object=[Page class = org.geoserver.community.css.web.CssDemoPage, id = 4, version = 0]] org.apache.wicket.util.io.SerializableChecker$WicketNotSerializableException: Unable to serialize class: org.geoserver.config.GeoServerDataDirectory
(...)
ERROR [wicket.Session] - Exception when detaching/serializing page

So, apart from the dynamic color issue I seem to have some serious problems with my freshly set up GeoServer 2.2.3 w/ CSS Module... Any hints on what could go wrong here are appreciated, although I will have to put some more effort in getting a working configuration once I find the time.

Btw, in which combination did you get the dynamic coloring to work?

Thanks again for your continued help! Apart from this issue I am very enthusiastic about the CSS Module.

Cheers,
Matthias