Hi Sean

Replacing the content of masterpw.digest directly is dangerous. The
master password is also used to encrypt/decrypt the key store
geoserver.jceks and is stored encrypted in
security/masterpw/default/passwd (default master password provider).
The masterpw.digest is used to avoid fetching the master password into
memory for a root login.

If you want to change the master password, you have to trigger a
master password change from the GUI to keep thins consistent.

Christian