Try the Concatenate function .. while it also casts to String it is being evil
and catching all errors and checking for null.

        StringBuffer text = new StringBuffer();
        for (Expression expression : (List<Expression>) getParameters()) {
            try {
                String str = (String) expression.evaluate(feature,
String.class);
                if (str != null) {
                    text.append(str);
                }