Thanks for the advice in not using CQL in the gml:id - it is not mandatory
that our 'objectid' show there.

We figured out why the data was being returned in the incorrect fields in a
GetFeature request: Our tables were created using ArcMap, which did not
actually specify the OBJECTID as the primary key. Not knowing this, when we
created the mapping file for Geoserver app-schema, we did not indicate this
objectid field anywhere. Yet it was still being read as a data field and
being put into the first field (ObservationURI) regardless of what the
mapping file said.  Anyway, we assigned the objectid as the primary key in
the table using PGAdmin and this cleared the issue.  GetFeature requests are
now correctly reading the data table and schema.