On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Rahkonen Jukka
<jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi>wrote:

> Would it be better to remove this setting from the global settings because
> it may be dangerous, even nobody has complaint about it, and it is not as
> global as users would believe because it affects only GML2 output?  The
> setting could remain in Layer-Publish with a warning telling that it is
> dangerous or stupid at least with WFS-T and a hint that it is only for
> GML2. Or perhaps it could be de-activated or removed also from there?

I think the original reason for that was to reduce the size of the
generated GML... which is
imho not a great reason right now (we have on the fly GZIP compression of
the output).
However, that thing has been there forever, so not sure.

There is also a "right" way to do it, which would be using a topology
preserving simplifier,
however that would slow down requests quite a bit.

It's something  that should be discussed on the devel list, I'm afraid I
don't have a good answer.

GeoServer training in Milan, 6th & 7th June 2013!  Visit
http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it for more information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead

fax: +39 0584 1660272