Thanks for the reply. In our case, sadly, we have separate databases. One
for each data store. The timeouts to which you allude seems to be key,
because they obviously do not abide by the connection timeout associated
with the stores. Indeed, these single connections are up for as long as
geoserver itself - we have yet to see a timeout after weeks of uptime. Are
they perhaps reused periodically? The layers associated with the data
stores are never referenced. Where does one set the timeout for these
initial connections, as they seem to be eternal and the heart of the
problem?