On 03/09/13 12:55, John Callahan wrote:
> As FYI, to create a valid idExpression (one without a leading integer
> and not using a CQL function), I need to create a column in my database
> view to represent the id.  An example output of id would be
> "fid.sand.898". I concatenated fields in my Postgres view as below.
> CREATE myView AS
> SELECT (('fid.'::text || datatable."formationCode"::text) || '.'::text)
> || spatialtable.gid AS id, .....

Good, that is just what I do. Much better than CQL in the mapping file.

Although I have not yet used them (only in Oracle), PostgreSQL 9.3 has
materialised views (although there has been a community recipe out for a
while):
http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-3-feature-highlight-materialized-views/

Matviews give you the option of indexing your string-concatenated id for
improved performance. Don't forget to index your other columns, as a
matview does not copy indexes or constraint!

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer