Hi,
please, read below...

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Smart, Gary Export License Required - US
UTAS <gary.sm...@utas.utc.com> wrote:

> If I gdal_translate the files to ‘geotif’ first, they are correctly
> positioned on the map.  Why is that??

Could you please provide the gdalinfo output for that GeoTIFF?
Did you use gdal_translate or gdalwarp?

> Why doesn’t geoserver understand the NITF if GDAL clearly can?

In GeoServer, a dataset need to be a GeoRectified one in order to be
rendered in the proper place in the world.
(Otherwise, it is simply handled as a picture having coordinates
[0,0]->[width,height])
Therefore a CoordinateReferenceSystem and a GeoTransform needs to exist for
that dataset.
When GeoServer uses GDAL to support a file format, it parses the
information provided by the GDAL driver itself.
As you can see from your previous gdalinfo, GDAL doesn't return
CoordinateSystem, GeoTransfom neither:

Coordinate System is `' <---- EMPTY

No "Origin/Pixel Size", "GeoTransform" values are returned by gdalinfo,

This is what I get from a sample Landsat GeoTIFF, instead:

*Coordinate System is:*
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
*Origin* = (125.833874279984470,37.952780993377843)
*Pixel Size* = (0.000269528093009,-0.000269528093009)

As you can see, that dataset has both a valid CoordinateReferenceSystem as
well as Origin and PixelSize parameter which basically represents the
GeoTransformation needed to properly locate pixels of the image in the
proper position in the world. )That means that the dataset is georectified).

I think that the gdal_translate/gdalwarp command you have used has parsed
the underlying information to produce a georectified GeoTIFF.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Daniele

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli