Hi Matt,
I was able to check your sample.
It seems like a problem on your dataset OR on the underlying UCAR NetCDF
java lib.
Let me try to explain that in order to figure out the real issue.

When GeoTools/GeoServer accesses a NetCDF file, it delegates the UCAR
NetCDF lib (currently, 4.6.0 version) to open a NetCDF dataset. Due to the
wide amount of conventions, types, structures existing in the NetCDF world,
the UCAR lib tries to individuate the convention used by the specific
sample, by parsing some attributes, datatypes or elements.

For your case, the lib thinks that your data is part of the M3IOConvention.
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/blob/master/cdm/src/main/java/ucar/nc2/dataset/conv/M3IOConvention.java#L72

since during the preliminar scan it finds the set of attributes required by
that convention.

// global attributes:
  :NCOLS = 921; // int
  :NROWS = 301; // int
  :XORIG = -144.5; // double
  :YORIG = 40.0; // double
  :XCELL = 0.10000000149011612; // double
  :YCELL = 0.10000000149011612; // double

Afterwards, it tries to setup the coordinates based on that convention:
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/blob/master/cdm/src/main/java/ucar/nc2/dataset/conv/M3IOConvention.java#L98

And here is where it throws a NPE exception since the expected field
doesn't actually exists.

At this point, I have a set of questions for you.
How did you create this file? Can you share some more information about
that? Is it somehow related with the M3IOConvention?
I'm asking this so you can fix your sample data in case it isn't well
formed OR we can keep in touch with the UCAR team to improve their library
to support this sample in case it is a properly formed dataset.

Please, let me know.
Best Regards,
Daniele

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM, brownbagel <fungyuensang...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After browsing around this forum, seems like this is a common issue, but I
> still do not seem to find a solution.
>
> I am attempting to upload NetCDF files onto geoserver via netCDF extension.
> Using sample .nc from the web, this extension works.
> However, when I attempt to upload my own files, I encounter the error
> "Could
> not find layer".
>
> I understand that geoserver requires CF/COARDS convention, I have attempted
> to rename my dimensions to be in accordance to this. Are there still other
> aspects of the .nc that I have to alter? Are there alternative methods (ie,
> converting to other file formats?) I've tried converting to geoTiff and
> .shp
> via GDAL but have no success in that.
>
> Attached: my .nc file (dispersion2.nc), geoserver log
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m5gebm21z73ng1y/AADky3C3q2mga0WqsyJ57Pbka?dl=0
>
> Thanks & Bless,
> Matt

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

fax:      +39 0584 1660272

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.