Hi Matt,
I have checked the second NetCDF file you provided.
Although this one will be properly opened by the UCAR lib (note: this is
the low-level one), GeoServer and GeoTools won't be available to open that
(these high level libs can only deal with CF datasets), due to the lack of
proper dimensions and properly specified Coordinates.

See these sections of the convention for further details:
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#grid-mappings-and-projections
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#appendix-grid-mappings

As well as the main GeoServer NetCDF documentation pages.
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#notes-on-supported-netcdfs
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#supporting-custom-netcdf-coordinate-reference-systems

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniele

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Matthew Fung <fungyuensang...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > ------------------------------------------------------- > > *AVVERTENZE
> AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003* > > Le informazioni contenute in questo
> messaggio di posta elettronica > e/o nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da
> considerarsi strettamente > riservate. Il loro utilizzo è consentito
> esclusivamente al > destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate
> nel messaggio > stesso. Qualora riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il
> > destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail > e
> di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo > dal
> Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche > in
> parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo > per
> finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi > dettati
> dal D.Lgs. 196/2003. > > > > The information in this message and/or
> attachments, is intended > solely for the attention and use of the named
> addressee(s) and may be > confidential or proprietary in nature or covered
> by the provisions of > privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003,
> no.196 - Italy's New > Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its
> purpose, any > disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either >
> dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except >
> previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not > the
> intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by > telephone,
> fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message > that has been
> received in error. The sender does not give any > warranty or accept
> liability as the content, accuracy or completeness > of sent messages and
> accepts no responsibility  for changes made > after they were sent or for
> other risks which arise as a result of > e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

> > APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month >
> Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now >
> Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now! >
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140 >
> click here < > NAML >
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

fax:      +39 0584 1660272