Okay, thanks for the info Daniele,
I do have the content as a list of hourly pngs, perhaps I can geo-reference them then add them as an ImageMosaic.

Regards,
Matt

On 2016-01-22 6:46 AM, Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
Hi Matt,
I have checked the second NetCDF file you provided.
Although this one will be properly opened by the UCAR lib (note: this is the low-level one), GeoServer and GeoTools won't be available to open that (these high level libs can only deal with CF datasets), due to the lack of proper dimensions and properly specified Coordinates.

See these sections of the convention for further details:
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#grid-mappings-and-projections
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#appendix-grid-mappings

As well as the main GeoServer NetCDF documentation pages.
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#notes-on-supported-netcdfs
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#supporting-custom-netcdf-coordinate-reference-systems

Hope this helps.
Cheers,