GeoServer can always output UTF-8 because Java supports UTF-8. Problems can arise when GeoServer tries to save files such as your SLD on a platform with an encoding that does not support all the characters in the file. This can cause files to be corrupted.

What is the platform on which you are running GeoServer, and what is its character encoding? I guess you are on Windows if you are using Notepad++, but what what version and character encoding? Also, what GeoServer version?

My guess is that the SLD file is being transformed into the platform encoding when saved (best effort), and where characters cannot be represented, they are being replaced with placeholders, corrupting the file. Your Notepad++ findings seem to confirm this. Notepad++ might not transform the file, instead saving it as raw bytes.

You might be able to change the behaviour of GeoServer by starting the JVM with the option:

-Dfile.encoding=UTF8

to force Java to read and write your SLD as UTF-8. Where to put it depends on how you start GeoServer. This may have other side effects if you have files stored in another encoding. My preferred solution is to use UTF-8 everywhere.

I am using Linux (Debian unstable) with locale en_GB.utf8 (that is, UTF-8 as the platform encoding). I tested the GeoServer release data directory (on master (2.11-SNAPSHOT)) by changing the Title of the first Rule of the population style to فارسی (see attached screenshot). Wikipedia tells me that this is Farsi for Farsi. I was able save and load the style, and the USA Population layer preview continued to work as expected. The GeoServer web SLD editor honours right-to-left display for the Farsi text.

I also examined the corresponding popshade.sld file and found that the Title was updated correctly to <Title>فارسی</Title>, both in a text editor that honours right-to-left when displaying text, and at a console that does not (to check raw ordering).

Kind regards,
Ben.