________________________________
Lähettäjä: Ben Caradoc-Davies<mailto:b...@transient.nz>
Lähetetty: ‎5.‎11.‎2016 23:52
Vastaanottaja: am2222<mailto:asd5...@yahoo.com>
Kopio:
geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Aihe: Re: [Geoserver-users] Right to left language (Arabic, Persian) problem in
SLD Legend

GeoServer can always output UTF-8 because Java supports UTF-8. Problems
can arise when GeoServer tries to save files such as your SLD on a
platform with an encoding that does not support all the characters in
the file. This can cause files to be corrupted.

What is the platform on which you are running GeoServer, and what is its
character encoding? I guess you are on Windows if you are using
Notepad++, but what what version and character encoding? Also, what
GeoServer version?

My guess is that the SLD file is being transformed into the platform
encoding when saved (best effort), and where characters cannot be
represented, they are being replaced with placeholders, corrupting the
file. Your Notepad++ findings seem to confirm this. Notepad++ might not
transform the file, instead saving it as raw bytes.

You might be able to change the behaviour of GeoServer by starting the
JVM with the option:

-Dfile.encoding=UTF8

to force Java to read and write your SLD as UTF-8. Where to put it
depends on how you start GeoServer. This may have other side effects if
you have files stored in another encoding. My preferred solution is to
use UTF-8 everywhere.

I am using Linux (Debian unstable) with locale en_GB.utf8 (that is,
UTF-8 as the platform encoding). I tested the GeoServer release data
directory (on master (2.11-SNAPSHOT)) by changing the Title of the first
Rule of the population style to فارسی (see attached screenshot).
Wikipedia tells me that this is Farsi for Farsi. I was able save and
load the style, and the USA Population layer preview continued to work
as expected. The GeoServer web SLD editor honours right-to-left display
for the Farsi text.

I also examined the corresponding popshade.sld file and found that the
Title was updated correctly to <Title>فارسی</Title>, both in a text
editor that honours right-to-left when displaying text, and at a console
that does not (to check raw ordering).

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>