​I have 6 Geoservers + Embedded GWC spread on two VMs 3 each. Each running
on separate Tomcat. All the Six Geoserver are running behind Apache HTTPD
proxy Balancer. I tried tuning the Java Process setting to optimum.

On the other hand I had a single Geoserver+ Embedded GWC.

On performing tests, The 6 Geoserver are 4-6 time slower than the Single
Geoserver while rendering a layergroup of HR Aerial Imagery on Openlayers
client.

I made a list of the configuration differences between the clustered
Geoservers and the Single Geoserver and some of the items are;

   - I use Authkey for Authentication in the Clustered Geoservers with a
   JDBC Role Service - so maybe every tile request has to perform
   authorization by querying the database and all those processes may slow the
   request.
   - JDBCConfig is used in the clustered  Geoserver as opposed to XML
   Catalog in the Single Geoserver; same as above the query process could be
   slowing requests.
   - The fact that *GWC Directory and Diskquota are clustered could be an
   issues*; write/access speed of the remote GWC directory seems to me as a
   cause of slow rendering of tiles and as so it tops my list of culprits.

​The third point is the source of my motivation to run GWC as standalone in
front of the Geoserver Cluster proxy. The have the GWC Blobstore closer
instead of a network drive.

                      Can you elaborate what you mean by "as efficient and
fast"?

My experience with the Integrated GWC (Six Instances of them which do not
share workload) is definitely slower as I've mentioned 4 -6 times slower
that a single GWC.

In fact I have stopped one VM and move the Tiles (GWC dir) to a local
directory in the same machine as the Geoservers but still slower than one
Geoserver.

Kind regards,
Steve Omondi