Thanks for your feedback, I have spent the day addressing this and other
feedback made ...

   - Although log4j 1.2 is no longer used, the prior configuration files
   can be read (sadly this was not working as expected in 2.21-M0 but it is
   now fixed). I now let Log4J 2 properties configuration try and read the
   file, and if it is unsuccessful try the log4j 1.2 properties configuration
   second.
   - I am going to change to renaming, rather than deleting prior
   properties configuration files (that way they can be recovered if you had a
   customization that was important to you).

I am still curious as the nature of your customization; presently the
built-in configurations make 3 backups; but the log4j 2 standard is to
compress prior backups (which I think is a good idea).

--
Jody Garnett