Thanks for sharing, if you come up with a log4j 2 example please pass it
along for the geoserver docs.

The log4j work is now merged and available as a nightly build, and more
importantly the documentation is available online.
-
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/configuration/globalsettings.html#logging-settings
-
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/configuration/logging.html#logging

In the coming days I will work on making the release candidate (it takes
some time as it is when we start the next geoserver release series with new
branches and build jobs).

Jody

Jody Garnett