From: Jody Garnett [mailto:jody.garn...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 8:52 AM
To: Calliess Daniel Ing. <daniel.calli...@stadt-salzburg.at>
Cc: GeoServer Users <geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: [Geoserver-users] GeoServer 2.21-M0 milestone available for
feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, I have spent the day addressing this and other
feedback made ...
·        Although log4j 1.2 is no longer used, the prior configuration files
can be read (sadly this was not working as expected in 2.21-M0 but it is now
fixed). I now let Log4J 2 properties configuration try and read the file, and
if it is unsuccessful try the log4j 1.2 properties configuration second.
·        I am going to change to renaming, rather than deleting prior
properties configuration files (that way they can be recovered if you had a
customization that was important to you).

I am still curious as the nature of your customization; presently the built-in
configurations make 3 backups; but the log4j 2 standard is to compress prior
backups (which I think is a good idea).

--
Jody Garnett

On Apr 28, 2022 at 5:21:52 AM, Calliess Daniel Ing.
<daniel.calli...@stadt-salzburg.at<mailto:daniel.calli...@stadt-salzburg.at>>
wrote:
Hi Jody,

personally I think that there's no downside to writing out configuration
settings to the logfile, but it may come in handy when resolving errors. So I
switched the logging level to 'config' in my custom configuration file which
works like expected.

I'm not quite sure why I would want to use an old "properties" configuration
file if log4j 1.2 has been removed from GeoServer. But when renaming such a
file and placing it in the <datadir>/logs folder it shows up in the UI. After
switching to such a profile I'm unable to see any logging taking place (which I
also verified using Sysinternals Process Monitor).

As the Global Settings documentation states that "additional customized
profiles can be added by editing the log4j file", there might be other users
that edited the config files without creating copies of the original files. So
I think there should at least be a warning in the release notes that the
logging configuration will require attention.

Best regards
Daniel