Hello,

we would like to briefly introduce ourselves as a developing group who
has been started to investigate and test Geotools for the use within
specific applications which we are currently developing. If we decide to
use it (we strongly think to do so), we will also have to contribute
directly and to supply new code to Geotools in future.

We are a company working basically on environmental informatics and
geodata processing, and we have two applications for which Geotools is a
strong candidate to be used within. The first one, which I am involved
in, is a desktop application to display satellite orbits and
corresponding swaths of instruments onboard these satellites. The
display will basically be a visualization of the orbits/swaths on a
world map, but shall be highly configurable in detail. E.g., we will
have to:

    - display additional layers  (e.g., a grid, country borders, cities,
selected zones, a background image) on demand
    - supply mechanisms to zoom, rotate, shift, and to select specific
sections of the map
    - show the map under different projections

The last point is important regarding our potential contribution to
Geotools. Besides a "standard" rectangular cylindric projection, we will
need at least an AzimuthalEquidistant and a Gnomonic projection which
are obviously not yet supplied by Geotools (package org
<javascript:searchRef('org')>.geotools
<javascript:searchRef('geotools')>.referencing
<javascript:searchRef('referencing')>.operation
<javascript:searchRef('operation')>.projection).
<javascript:searchRef('projection')> Therefore, we will have to go and
add these projections following your tutorial
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/How+to+add+new+projections).
- You may also regard this email as "step 0" of that tutorial ;-)

Questions we may have in future will regard these projection topics, but
also the rendering and performance issues, which are also very important
for us.

With best regards,
Olaf Danne (Brockmann Consult)