I'm repeating my self, but I want to stretch very loudly the following:

        The "sample to geophysics" transform defines the
        conversion from pixel units to geophysics units.

as such, it is a unit conversion. It appears everywhere Coverage units appears.
Because Unit of Measurement must be tied to every coverages in every steps of
the chain, so is the "sample to geophysics" transform which is part of the unit
definition for a packed coverage.

If the units (and consequently the "sample to geophysics" transform) are
unknown
we can set them to null. But conceptually this is not an optional property (we
accept null value because in real life it is often unknown), so I don't think
that putting them in a separated interface as if it was an "extra feature" is a
good catch of the concept behind it.

        Martin