On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 10:17 +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
> > Adrian Custer ha scritto:
> >> How did you resolve the 'advertising clause' issue? Are we expecting to
> >> change all our docs to include the credit requested by SUN?
> Reading into this GNU document about the nature of the
> BSD issue:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
>
> It really seems the only issue GNU sees is a matter of
> practicality, that is, that if you have 70 different
> BSD style licenses, you have to add "full page ad" to
> the material you distribute to cite all of them...
>
> As usual, no lawyer, so I may be just plain wrong.

That is my understanding as well. The GeoTools project and all dependent
projects would gain the obligation to cite SUN in their core project
document. Essentially, GeoTools becomes licensed under 'LGPL +
documentation obligation', if you will.

This is not incompatible but will be more work and imposes a new
obligation so the change should be undertaken as a conscious decision
rather than happen as an un-intended side-effect of other work.

--adrian