I do not feel I understand what this change covers ... what is this
data structure used for -
I am trying to pick up some context here; it appears as if the
replacement is 2d only? GridEnvelope2D

Are we not trying for a multiple dimensional expression of range here?
rectangle has getWidth and getHeight; and I am expecting getSpan(0),
getSpan(1), getSpan( n ) etc...

I am not sure I understand the proposal :(  I of course do not
understand why it was changed suddenly either...

Jody