Morning all:
> Regarding these two...
>> demo/mappane-use -> mbedward
>> modules/unsupported/mappane -> mbedward (not module maint.)
>
> I've been working on the idea of bundling the unsupported mappane
> module into a better demo, as discussed a little while ago with you
> and Jody. This work is in branches/2.6.x_JMapPane_move.  See also
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-2472
>
> I propose that we merge this branch into trunk. The result would be
> that unsupported/mappane is removed and demo/mappane-use is replaced
> by demo/mapwidget.

That sounds great :-) I had a look over the code in svn; but do not
have it checked out into  environment right now so I cannot provide
you useful feedback. Any progress with the background rendering from
the user list?

> I'm happy to be the maintainer of the reworked mappane code,
> regardless of whether it is bundled into a demo or remains as a
> module. For my own projects I'll need Swing widgets working in the
> near future so I have a useful personal interest. But I think I recall
> Jody mentioning that he wanted to be the maintainer (?)

Let's both be maintainers of that one; I stepped up quickly because
consider it important for the adoption of the library and ease of
learning.

Looking at the code base here I suspect we will need to pick and
choose between the three involved modules (mappane; widgets-swing,
widgets-swing-pending). My idea was to fold the latter two into a
single module. I tried doing that quickly yesterday but am holding off
as it requires a bit of a careful review). I have also entertained
combining them both into a  "gt-swing" module and reducing the scope a
little bit.  I would like to drive this based on tutorials and code
examples (since that is my need) but hopefully we can scare up some
good conversations on the user list.